Historical Museum

Samokov

4.4 (11 ratings)

Samokov lies just 55 kilometers from Sofia and is best known for its proximity to the ski resort of Borovets. The name Samokov comes from the water-powered mechanical hammers used to work with iron, called УsamokoviФ in Bulgarian, which indicates the importance of ironworking for the cityТs inhabitants in times past. The people who have inhabited these parts through the ages have left abundant evidence Ц for example stone, wood and paper frescoes can be seen here, as well as Christian Orthodox icons, painted in the style of the local master-painters, tools made of iron extracted in the environs, which are not susceptible to corrosion over time.All this has been conserved and kept in excellent condition by the numerous museum workers who have worked here, in the museum building.

The museum began its collection in 1930, and opened to the public in 1936. The building which now houses the historical museum was built in 1940.

On the first floor there is an exhibition called УSamokov Ц Soul and Metal.Ф It shows how Samokov became an important center for iron production. Archeological finds demonstrate that there is a long tradition of metalworking in the region. One of the most interesting displays shows small-scale working models of cauldrons for pouring molten metal and the УsamokoviФ Ц the mechanical hammers.

The museumТs display of tools presents the regionТs traditional handicrafts during the Bulgarian Awakening (19thcentury), such as homespun weaving (the production of rough woolen cloth), pottery making, and the considerable skill of coppersmiths. There is also a display of antique jewelry production Ц the shaping and working of semiprecious stones in antique settings. Another interesting exhibit is glasswork from a factory opened in Samokov in the 19th century, where the much-admired glaziers from Karlovi Vari were employed.

Visitors to the museum may also view an exhibit of clothing and textiles typical of Samokov and the surrounding region. The influence of Western Europe and a desire to dress in modern fashion is evident in the womenТs clothing on display from the second half of the 19th century, which is of a decidedly European cut, along with imported watches and ornate accessories.

During the Awakening, the village was an important educational center in Bulgaria Ц as illustrated by the many photographs of students and teachers. Here visitors can see the first Bulgarian printing press (1828), used by Nikola Karastoyanov (1778-1874), one of BulgariaТs first publishers, and an edition of BulgariaТs first newspaper, Liuboslovia(Philologia, or Love of the Word), published by the social activist and philologist Konstantin Fotinov (1790-1858).

The museumТs second floor offers an exposition of the Samokov School of painters from the 17th century to the beginning of the 20th century. On display are works by the schoolТs first exponent, Hristo Dimitrov (1745-1819), and work by his sons Dimitar (1796-1860) and Zahari Zograf (1810-1853). Visitors may view portraits from the period of the Awakening, including those by Stanislav Dospevski (1323-1853).

Visitor information

Address
4 Professor Vasil Zahariev Street
Opening hours
From Tuesday to Saturday 8.30-12.00 and 13.00-17.30 Lunch break: 12.00-13.00 Closed: Sunday and Monday and public holidays
Phone
0722/66712
Email
museum_samokov[at]abv.bg
Website
https://museumsamokov.blogspot.com/
Good to know
Entrance fees: Students from the Municipality of Samokov on educational programs offered by the museum - free of charge Pupils, students and pensioners - €0.51. Adults - €1.02 People with disabilities and children up to 6 years - free Family ticket (parents with children) - €2.05. Review talk in Bulgarian - €2.56. Review talk in a foreign language - €5.11.
Coordinates
42.339167, 23.56 Open in Maps

Also at this destination

Collect this stamp

Visit with the 100 Places app open and your phone’s geolocation adds this landmark to your book.

Download on the App StoreGet it on Google Play