Mezek Fortress
Mezek

Photo 1 of 3
Photo: Klearchos Kapoutsis from Paleo Faliro, Greece · CC BY 2.0 , via Wikimedia Commons
The Mezek Fortress, 6.5 decares (6,500 square metres) in area, is claimed to be among the best preserved Bulgarian medieval castles. It dates to the 11th century. Along with the Thracian tombs, it was studied by a team under archaeologist Bogdan Filov in 1931–1932. The castle has nine towers, five of which lie at the vulnerable south wall. The Mezek Fortress was built out of stone, with two decorative lines of bricks on the outside. It suffered some destruction around 1900, when stones from the fortress were used for the construction of Ottoman barracks in Svilengrad.
The fortress had the functions of a border guarding fortress. It defended the territories between the rivers Maritza and Arda. It is located at the end of Mezek village, 6 kilometers southwest of Svilengrad and only a kilometer of the border with Greece.
Some historians believe that this is the famous fortress Neutzikon, known from written sources; others believe that at that place lied the Versinikiya fortress, where Khan Krum defeated the Byzantine army in 813 AD and conquered Thrace.
Objects, dating back to the 11th century were found during several archaeological excavations. The fortress is believed to be constructed during the reign of the Byzantine Emperor Alexius I Comnenus (1081 – 1117). The fortress walls surround an area of about 7 decares in the shape of an irregular rectangle with sizes of 110/60 meters and are built of stones, soldered with white plaster, decorated with three brick bands on the outside. The fortress wall ended with pinnacles, which were preserved until 1900.
The fortress defense was reinforced by nine round towers, over 10 meters high. Five of the towers were located at the southern wall (two edge towers and three on the front), two at the western wall (in the middle and at the main entrance), one at the northern and one at the eastern wall. The fortress functioned until the Ottoman invasion at the end of the 14th century. It was planned to be a solid fortification unit and was a home to many people. Several granaries with charred corn were found, where food supplies used to be stored. Numerous are the discovered iron arrowheads, spurs and horseshoes, which testify the presence of garrison soldiers. Stone mills, metal instruments and other items tell us about the way of life of the ordinary people.
The fortress near the village of Mezek was quite well preserved until the beginning of the 20th century. A part of it was destroyed by 1900, when stones were taken from it to build the Turkish barracks in Svilengrad. The northern wall suffered the most. It is preserved at the terrain level at the inner side. The southern, western and eastern walls are conserved at the height of the platform, where the pinnacles stood.
The fortress was declared national antiquity and an architectural building monument of the ancient and medieval times; the declaration was promulgated in the State Gazette, in issue 221/1927 and issue 67/1968. Restoration and conservation activities were carried out in 1973 and 2007. A tourist information center, offering information and brochures, was built.
Besides the view to the village and the surrounding area, in clear weather from the towers, a view of the Aegean Sea can be seen.
Visitor information
- Opening hours
- 10:00 - 17:00 (No day off)
- Phone
- +359 379 71097
- Website
- https://www.tourism.government.bg/bg/tourist-destinations/2306/2393
- Good to know
- Entrance fees: None Talks: in Bulgarian - €3.07. Contacts: Museum of History Address: Svilengrad, 150 Bulgaria Blvd.
- Coordinates
- 41.73787, 26.08378 Open in Maps
Also at this destination
Collect this stamp
Visit with the 100 Places app open and your phone’s geolocation adds this landmark to your book.