The Historical Museum of Klisura is housed in a building named "Community Center - memorial museum" built on the occasion of the 50th anniversary of the April Uprising. This building is the result of one of the largest charity works after the liberation, as it collected funds for 30 years. The building opened on May 2, 1926.

The most valuable item on display is the original bell that signaled the start of the uprising on April 20, 1976.

The whole second floor of the museum depicts Klisura’s part in the event. On display are clothing, weapons used by the revolutionaries, and a copy of the revolutionaries ’banner. A part of the exhibit is concerned with the European reaction to the April Uprising and with the Russo-Turkish War that liberated Bulgaria in 1877-1878.

On the museum’s ground floor there is a small picture gallery displaying works by noted Bulgarian painters. The paintings are originals and are related to the national movement against Ottoman rule in the 19th century.

The rest of the exhibit is dedicated to the traditional activities of Klisura’s residents, such as the production of rose oil and the herding of livestock, as well as to the development of education in the city.

Special attention is given to notable Bulgarians who were born in Klisura, such as one of the founders of Bulgarian publishing, Hristo Danov (1828-1911), the political figure Marko Balabanov (1837-1921), and others. In a corner of the exhibit dedicated to Hristo Danov, visitors can view his personal library.

The historical museum complex includes The Pavrudzhiev and The Kozinarov Houses.

In the Pavrudzhiev House, located opposite the museum there is a restored rose oil distillery. The structure is typical of the symmetrical style associated with the Plovdiv architecture of the period. In its rooms are displayed equipment connected with the daily life of Klisura residents during the second half of the 19th century. The Pavrudzhiev House was declared an architectural and cultural landmark of national importance in Issue ¹ 55 of the State Decrees for 1978.

In the courtyard attached to the Kozinarov House, there is the well where Tsana Kozinarova threw herself and her four children, so as not to be taken alive by the Ottomans. The house was restored in 1976-1977.

Visitor information

Address
April 20 Square
Opening hours
Monday to Friday 8:00 - 12:00: 13:00 to 17:00 Saturday and Sunday 9:00 - 12:00 and 13:00 – 17:00
Phone
+359 3137 20 04
Website
https://museum-klisura.com/
Good to know
Entrance fees: Adults - €1.02 Students - €0.51 Entrance fees for Pavurdzhieva and Kozinarova houses (for each of the houses): Adults - €0.51 Students - €0.26. For visiting the three sites the total entrance fee is €1.02 per person. Talks in Bulgarian are available - €2.56. Foreign tourists are offered leaflets about the museum in English.
Coordinates
42.69429, 24.45003 Open in Maps

Collect this stamp

Visit with the 100 Places app open and your phone’s geolocation adds this landmark to your book.

Download on the App StoreGet it on Google Play